Monday, November 8, 2010

Energy healing on CNN int'l with Carolyn Coleridge



I saw this on YouTube and thought it was worth sharing.   Wouldn't it be wonderful if stories like this were broadcast and published more often!?  
I have looked around in New Jersey to see where Reiki is being offered in medical settings and I haven't found much in the southern area.   The Catholic hospitals have removed Reiki from their services and teaching facilities because the bishops ruled against it last year.  I wonder how many Catholics practitioners there were before it was determined inappropriate and if they are still practicing, albeit very quietly.   I'm sure they must be still involved but I wonder in what capacity.

My Reiki Master told me of another hospital that had Reiki practitioners but that program isn't currently running.   And yet another hospital does list it on their complementary medicine webpage but when I called to inquire about volunteering the woman told me that it was not requested very often at all, she had a hard time getting it going.  I called again at a later date to follow up, as I saw it was still listed on their site, and spoke to the same woman.  She said again that Reiki was not being requested much by patients or their families but this time added that since I wasn't a Reiki Master she wouldn't really consider me an appropriate candidate for her program anyway.   She had her go-to people available to her if a Reiki request came in and they were professionals in one way or another.  She was nice enough and I understood what she was saying, but I also felt a bit disappointed. 
Regarding it not being requested there, I don't know why that is if it's something they offer.   It may be that the program has more paid practitioners than it does volunteers so unless those services were free maybe patients aren't as interested in something they have to pay for that they aren't familiar with.   Most people know what a massage is, or could guess what one is like even if they have never had one, but Reiki may be something they have never heard of at all.  I don't know if that facility hosted events to provide information about complementary healing therapies and if so, what the turnout was.  Maybe they don't offer much information to their patients about certain things because the administrators or directors have their own personal likes and dislikes and that comes in to play with what modalities are highlighted and which ones are not promoted much.   That may not be the case at all but I know sometimes individual views can have their effects. 
Also, it was a bit frustrating to hear that just because I am not at the Master level, a person wouldn't consider me to have something valuable to offer.  I explained to her that being a Reiki Master would only give me the ability to teach, it doesn't make the Reiki stronger.  Basically, she said that she sees it as an additional valuable training, shows more dedication to being a professional.  While I got what she was sharing with me, I guess I disagreed with it in my own mind.   Master classes vary from instructor to instructor.  Some are intensive and take months to complete.  Others can be done in one afternoon.   If you took a one day class, I guess you would receive the attunement and information on how to attune others, but just those basic things don't necessarily make you a professional or ready to teach classes on your own.  That would come with further preparation and practice.  Some people prefer to do that part of it on their own.  I'd be more inclined to want to do it that way because then I wouldn't be taking on the exact style of my Master, but developing my own.    But the bottom line is,  you can become a Reiki Master in a number of different ways but that title doesn't make you better than anyone else or more professional.  It's how you value it and what you do with it that makes the difference.   
So I'm thinking that to be part of a volunteer program, the main requirement should be that a person has a desire to help others.  That they are kind and compassionate and willing to follow whatever rules and regulations the facility requires.  It's up to those who manage the programs to provide training regarding privacy issues, and working with patients and their families.  That's how you learn to handle yourself in a hospital setting, not at a Reiki Master class.   

Just my personal thoughts. 

A few questions....
If you are a Reiki practitioner either with a full-time business or just seeing clients occasionally, do you also do volunteer work?   Do you send Reiki to friends and family all the time?  Do you take clients for no fee if you know they are on a limited income or cannot afford to pay?



5 comments:

Ron said...

"So I'm thinking that to be part of a volunteer program, the main requirement should be that a person has a desire to help others."

You said it, my friend!

To be perfectly honest with you, I've given up on joining the medical community when it comes to offering my Reiki services, because for years I've come across nothing by road blocks and discouragements. I'm more drawn to offer my services as a volunteer to those infected with HIV, or with those who are dying in Hospice. I just recently got a brochure from a non-denominational church who works with Hospice that I'm going to look into volunteering again. They also work with those experiencing HIV.

We're all drawn to offer our Reiki services in different ways, so if you're interested in doing something like that, perhaps you can look for something in your area.

Yes, I know it can be very frustrating trying to offer Reiki, but keep the faith, because eventually you will find your place with Reiki!

Ron said...

P.S. Have a wonderful Monday, M!

X

Unknown said...

Lavender Lady,

What a great Youtube. You are so correct. If more of these type of stories made thier way to the tv's in America then perhaps people would notice that what we have to offer is the unconditional love of the universe. It is when we intend for the energy to be received by the client to be used for the highest and best good and when the clients accept the energy then things start to improve, physically, emotionaly and spritualy. I have volunteered in various hospitals in Connecticut and the treatments we give and are giving have and for the non-catholic hospitals are still being implemented into the daily offerings to the patients. I did a lot of volunteer Reiki for a Catholic hospital until they pulled the plug due to what the bishops decreed.
I have given and still give Reiki, Energy Healing and Reconnection healings for reduced rates and sometimes for no charge for those who cannot afford a session. I ask in return that at sometime the client who cannot pay for a session give love and a helping hand to someone else.
I too, believe like Dr. Oz, that we are the begining of a spiritual and energy revolution. We now are paving the way for the future energy practitioners.
Reiki is a wonderful way to let the experience of energy come into play with the other modalites that are offered by the allopathic doctor, the physical therapist, the psycologist, the clergy. When used in symphony the the body mind and spirit have the chance to heal in more complete and loving way.

Thank You again for your site.
Namaste

Mary said...

Ron, the non-denom church sounds like a perfect way for you to offer Reiki as a volunteer again.
I'm sure those you worked with before were very appreciative and accepting of your time and kindness.

I recently found a place online that I have been doing a bit of volunteering. It's called the Distant Healing Network. I'm new to it, but basically it's a place where people can request healing of different types. I'm in the Reiki group. I'll get a case emailed to me each week by the group leader and I send Reiki to that person for 7 days.

Thanks for your thoughts, Ron. Always nice to see you here!

Mary said...

Hello Dave!
It's wonderful that you do a 'Pay It Forward' type offering! I love that!
I have read about programs in Northern New Jersey and New York but Southern NJ seems to be a bit lacking with the Reiki services. Or maybe I just haven't found where they are hiding yet. ;)
I'm thankful for Dr. Oz and do agree that the future will see more energy practitioners! So many people are fearful of things they don't know about, both patients and doctors, but as the information is made available in more places, the field will grow. Some doctors may feel there is value to the complementary therapies but might think if toooo many people got more involved with them, their need for seeing a doctor in the first place might be less. But we can all work together!! There is enough for all!

Thank you so much for stopping by!
You're welcome anytime. :)

Peace! Mary